Tuesday, April 15, 2014

24,Zephyr, 1327 

This Sun, I was contemplating what I would call ‘a home’. It has never occurred to me that what resonates as ‘home’ to me had also gone Quiet when I did; though I believe that would be the root of my fluttering unease at the Grove. It is not but a transient murmur, a tiny flitter of a leaf in a gentle breeze, the unease. It’s almost something overlooked entirely, but it’s something felt- a light brush of the bark just so – that occurs and remains each time I return there. [there is a little spot of ink here]

Lafey told me to return to where I call home the other Sun, and no place came to the surface. I do not have a home. I imagine other sylvari may disagree, they may say that we all have a home, we simply have to find it. Perhaps so, but right now, it is something left beyond my reach. There is nowhere I feel I must return to, and everywhere I feel I must venture. Perhaps it is something more I must reclaim on my own.

I was contemplating this, when, suddenly, the strange metal creature that Phooka had given me began to speak! I had moved around a little bit, shifting it in the process, and it began to talk to me. It asked and spoke of strange things in many different voices; I could not understand much of what it wished to say, but at some points it seemed troubled, and then said it wished to be brought to Divinity’s Reach by the portal to Lion’s Arch in its strange way. So, of course, I brought it there as it wished.

It was not long after that Ren came through that very portal; perhaps his had spoken to him too? I greeted him, and he attested to how the creature probably would not mind being moved. We heard familiar voices nearby, and wished to investigate. The creature spoke no more, so perhaps it was appeased, and with little leaf-over-land, we met the others we had heard. Many of the other Seekers of Knowledge had gathered, and were speaking about something or other. Phooka approached us after greeting, and he explained more carefully how the metal creature functions.



 


Antennae (tail?):Make sure it is up when speaking.

Voice Reciever:Where you speak to it.

Frequency Tuner:Apparently you turn this if things are too indistinguishable; perhaps the creature likes it and it reacts well.

Activation Dial: It speaks more if it is turned one way, and prefers silence the other way.
Metal Communicator Creature: It is a creature with an ability to transmit a voice long distances, to where other creatures are; almost like an auditory portal. I am uncertain if they use the same Bends as some teleportation does, or if they have a special connection with each other, and merely imitate the voice they have heard from another one, but they are quite fascinating.


We then went with Lafey to a place for her to rest, though she did not actually seem to want rest. She looked different, I believe she grew a different face for a little while, and had changed her color. The tranquil place of the Melandru was where we stopped, and we spoke of the last outing in her shade and sunlight. Phooka was surprised we allowed Lafey to do as she did, though I am not sure that some of us even knew what it was she had done; at least myself among those pods. However, she did not seem to be additionally harmed, and because knowledge was gained, there was not much disagreement. We did learn, though, that she is ill, which is troubling, if only for her growth and well-feeling. I know little about healing humans, not even much about healing beings other than myself, unless by ways of the Chaos. I do know how to empower with magic, and to take useful magic from others to use for myself, or those allied. And such came up later, in fact, I must not get off topic before forgetting, but regardless, I will look out for knowledge which may help Lafey bloom more freely.

We then learned how Lafey could ‘hold’ a sickness, yet not be afflicted by it, which is strange and fascinating, though I suppose in some ways logical. She simply has further control over it than many, and can detect it once given. Thus, we were interested in experimentation, to see what we could learn from the sickness’ progression.


Notations on the Sickness:

  • Transferred through the water; sylvari drinking from the water in the area were the ones growing sick.
  • Potentially able to be transferred by a Risen.
  • Symptoms
    • - Later stages
    • - as though something were eating them from within
    • - veins bulge
    • - almost like a strange kind of decay
  •  Thought to be magical, not necessarily natural
  •  The water in the lake seems clearer than usual.
  •  Sylvari get sick despite the water being ‘purified’.


Theory: Thought to be magical, there is a possibility that one has spelled the lake, or a certain being within the lake, to create these effects in sylvari. There is a mesmeric ability often called Arcane Theivery, in which the Mesmer is able to take beneficial magic from the target, and swap it with harmful effects in place on the Mesmer. It is an exchange of energies, a Bend which allows for the threads of magical reversal without disrupting any of the energies in question. An interesting displacement, as often tampering with such energies can lead to disaster when untrained in them, but this is not so in this case. This considered, it is possible that either a combined or amplified version of this spell was used; the lake being ‘clearer’ than usual implies that perhaps nutrients and beneficial properties of the sylvari are being ‘transferred’ to the lake. This would explain its cleaner state, despite potential Risen getting in it to contaminate, as well as the notion that ‘even if purified, the sylvari still get sick’. The water would, in all leafs and boughs, look and seem harmless – perhaps even more enticing than usual, given all the beneficial nutrients, energy, and vitality it is receiving from the sylvari afflicted; meanwhile, whatever has been spelled in the lake is transferring all its harmful, potentially magically altered, effects to the sylvari themselves. This is my theory.

Solution if correct: I, too, have studied the skill of Arcane Thievery, though I have not used the spell often. What I do know of it, is that is never brings harms to the Mesmer; only benefits, if there are any to be had. It will take and give what is present in exchange, though it does not need to be equal on both sides, and one may be absent. While Lafey may be able to take the sickness from the water, or the risen, I would be able to take any benefits (the ailment in) the water has been gaining. If I get some sort of beneficial energy from this experiment, it would give further weight to my theory; the water is gaining additional properties from somewhere, and I may be able to determine what that energy is. If it coincides with what the sick sylvari seem to be losing in their ailment, then my theory that this magic is involved is quite plausible.

Theory: There were thoughts that the ailment was potentially necromantic in being, a straight sickness or disease that is transferred between living beings and carried by the Risen. Little was spoken in elaboration on this, perhaps it is simply that straight forward; that it is merely more magically embued than natural. I wish I knew more of necromantic magics to speculate beyond the tips of my branches.

Solution presented: Test the ailment on some sort of creature, living or undead was brought up. I assume this is to show the progression of the ailment; the latter I do not understand, as I would think various energies may not react the same between the two, and even diseases would not necessarily be interested in unliving subjects, but perhaps. I am not very knowledgeable in these areas, and would like to learn more and see what occurs.

I think though that a combination of experiments would be best; there will be more knowledge had that way.


There was a small discussion on the subject of target for the experiments, as there was some disagreement at the direction it should go. I only spoke in a harmonious logic, what I thought may be wise, and only for a middle possibility between the two disagreements. It was for a possible progress, instead of a standstill against choice. Though it would be clear that if that didn’t work, something more would be needed for further knowledge. Plants, undead, and a potential living subject were considered.


There will be experimentation soon. I am interested to see where it will lead, and if we can be the sun to those put into shade by this ailment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Archive